Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

No FO left behind...

I'm currently in Victoria, B.C. for the premiere of my Dad's opera. I'll certainly write about the amazing time I'm having here when I get back home, but I felt like writing an entry right now... And then I realized that I have a bunch of finished objects that I never got around to writing about! So here goes...


The first on the list is this Swelligant Scarf (from Son of Stitch 'n Bitch) for my brother because he wanted to have a fancy scarf. I think I never posted about it because I was waiting to get some pictures of it on him, and that never actually happened. So, I apologize for the crummy picture. I used an acrylic/alpaca blend in a fingering weight, which might have been a little fine for this pattern, but it still turned out nicely. The pattern features a reversible cable, which is really neat, and so I'll likely make this pattern again in a heavier yarn (my mom is already on her second).


The second is my stripy shawl, which I made for the boyfriend's cousin's wedding, and never wrote about because I was waiting for pictures from other people of me wearing the shawl at said wedding and those pictures never materialized. I used the Dream Stripes pattern by Cailliau Berangere. It was originally written in French, and so the translation isn't amazing, but I was able to figure it out (and knowing how to speak french was a bonus). I used leftover yarn from my dad's Guitar Socks and the leftovers from my brother's scarf.


As you might have noticed, I kept running out of yarn, and so I probably redid the edging three or four times. I started off making it grey, but I didn't have enough yarn for that, and then I tried the white, but that didn't pan out either... And then I did the green, and I had enough yarn for all but the last two rows and the bind-off. I think it probably turned out ok regardless, and I wear this shawl all the time as a scarf. It's super cozy.


Next we have what I like to call my Boobie Cozy, though it's really just a cute little shrug. The pattern is the Minisweater by Stefanie Japel and I used four skeins of Debbie Bliss Pure Silk that were gifted to me by a friend. It was a dream to work with, but since that yarn was much thinner than the pattern called for, I had to do a few modifications. However, since it's essentially just a top-down raglan, it was pretty easy to figure out.


My favourite part is totally those moon-face buttons, though figuring out how to properly place them was a pain in the ass. I ended up making the first button-hole in the wrong place, and had to sew it up and do an afterthought button-hole. Unfortunately, the silk seems to have stretched a bit as well, so it's a little looser now than it was, but I still love it.


Finally, we have this super thick and awesome cowl, which I never posted about because I didn't bother to take nice pictures. I used the Marian pattern (only on Ravelry) by Jane Richmond and a skein of Cascade Magnum. I didn't have any 15mm circular needles, so I ended up knitting it flat and seaming it, which turned out just fine. I absolutely love how fast it worked up (only 2 days of on and off knitting), and how squishy the finished product is. I should knit with big yarn and big needles more often...

Anyway, that's about it for my forgotten FOs. Next I'll write about shiny new things!