Crochet, knitting, astronomy & life in general.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Wine bottle cozy pattern


It's been a little while since I've posted a free pattern, so here's something quick and easy for you. I whipped up these crocheted wine bottle cozies a few hours before some friends' wedding party to cover up a bottle of port and a bottle of homemade white wine which we were bringing as gifts. This is the label for the home-made wine, by the way:


The label says "Sam's Beard Estates WINE BITCHES!" Yeah... not totally family-appropriate, but we had a hoot making them. The reddish shape is the silhouette of the boyfriend's beard as seen from the side. If you stare at it, you might get it, but it's meant to be a little abstract.

Anyway, on to that pattern! I used two thirds of a leftover ball of Knit Picks Telemark for the purplish one, and then some mystery worsted weight for the white one. The grey yarn is Bernat Berella 4 Solids & Ragg, which is a worsted weight yarn, but I think you can probably use anything from sport weight to worsted for this pattern, since the double crochet is fairly stretchy.

Materials:
  • About 50 grams of a sport to worsted weight yarn
  • a 5mm crochet hook
  • a darning needle to sew in the ends

Gauge: Approximately 3 sts per inch, but it doesn't matter too much

Instructions:

Make magic ring (you can find a good tutorial here). Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc).

Rnd 1: Dc 11 sts into ring, sl st into 3rd chain. Pull ring tight. (12 sts)
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc into sl st, * 2 dc in next st, rep from *, sl st into 3rd chain. (24 sts)
Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc into sl st, * 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, rep from *, sl st into 3rd chain. (36 sts)
Rnd 4-10ish: Ch 3, dc around, sl st into 3rd chain. (until it extends to the beginning of the neck of the wine bottle)
Rnd 11: Ch 3, * dec 2 sts, 1 dc in next st, rep from *, sl st into 3rd chain. (24 sts)
Rnd 12: Ch 3, dc around, sl st into 3rd chain.
Rnd 13: Ch 4, * sk 1 st, 1 dc in next st, ch 1, rep from *, sl st into 3rd chain. This creates eyelets to pass the drawstring through.
Rnd 14: Ch 3, * dc into ch, dc into next dc, rep from *, sl st into 3rd chain.

Fasten off.

With a 12” piece of yarn, twist and fold in half so it twists up on itself, and tie knots at each end. Then draw through the eyelets. You can also use a crochet chain or an i-cord if you want.

You can do this in red, green, and white stripes for a very festive wine cozy, and it adds a nice personal touch to that bottle of wine you bring to a Christmas party. Enjoy!

Edit (April 24, 2012) - Changed row 3 from 32 sts to 36 sts.

18 comments:

  1. is the number on round 3 supposed to be 36? I keep counting and keep ending up with 36 not 32 :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're perfectly right. I made a typo and I'll change it.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I came across this pattern just love it! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochet.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would love it as well, and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Please let me know if this would be ok. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Jenny
    Jbenoit@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pattern. I always have leftover yarn from prior projects. After viewing the homemade wine labels, my husband would be interested in conversing on the making of your wine and looks as though you make beer also? We have made the beer and it is just OK, but the pear wine is out of this world!! Thank you for your many talents.
    Teri Busby
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I read your pattern and compared it to your picture. It looks like there are 4 more rows pictured than what is written. Is this correct? I ask because I counted from the bottom of the bottle and moved up...Where do you change colors at..

    Thanks, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! So, that's why I put "Rows 4-10ish". I want you to keep going straight until you reach the point in the bottle where it starts narrowing for the neck before starting the decreases. I think I go to row 17 before I start decreasing on the white and grey one and to row 15 on the purple and white one. As for the colour change, I just did it when I ran out of the first colour of yarn, so really change colour whenever you feel like it!

      Delete
  5. This is a great way to use up left-over yarn from other projects! No longer will I be purchasing a wine bag from the store, I will be making my own. What a nice touch to a gift of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just what I was looking for as a Christmas gift for freinds. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm making a bunch of these as gifts this holiday season! thank you so much for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is great, I am giving away some canned venison and this will make a great jar cover
    Sharron Krieger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red heart has a similiar pattern, but it looks a little classier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Heart does have a wine bottle pattern, but not crochet, it is knitted and the pattern is cables.
      Crochet cables are not all that difficult and the same for crochet X stitches which would add texture. Just use this crochet pattern for the stitch count and insert a stitch pattern of your choice.
      I do this....all of the time. *S* Lisa

      Delete
  11. Please provide a video for those who cannot make sense of your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the life of a grad student does not allow me to make free videos on demand.

      Delete
  12. Awesome! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ______
    Lee Ann H
    Posted with Blackberry Z10!
    Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this and it is so easy to make! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! It took me more than an hour but it's great and I love how flexible it is for different sized bottles. To finish mine I made a length of chain in my primary color and used that as the tie cord instead of plain loose yarn. The chain stitch makes a very pretty bow! ~Stella

    ReplyDelete